The crossbow can be considered a primitive and pretty simple to use weapon. But you can’t just decide to know how to shoot using a crossbow at whim. There is a need for training, knowledge of basic things and some tricks before delving into the shooting process.
So here in this article, we will discuss some basic things about a crossbow which will help you to learn to shoot.
Parts of a crossbow
Before using and knowing how to use this simple machine -crossbow, one must be a wee about the parts. Knowing the names of the various parts of a crossbow will aid in learning the weapon and developing the skill of shooting.
Stock is the central structure of the crossbow whose from is called the foregrip and back is buttstock. The stretched parts extended form stick and connecting to the bow is called the limbs. Limbs held the power in the crossbow and give the acceleration required for shooting. The bowstring is the string running from one end of the limb to the other making the shooting actually possible by holding and building the momentum. There is a trigger system present for safety and as the names suggest it works similarly by firing the crossbow that is making the shoot. Rail is the topmost part of the foregrip where bolt sits i.e. the ammunition. The stirrup is the frame of metal at the front of the crossbow which is used for leverage by shooters when cocking the crossbow for a shoot.
Safety is very important in shooting as accidents are prone in any shooting or hunting activity. These are some basic things everyone gun or shooting weapon user should be aware of –
- Never point your weapon on anything which you do not intend to shoot. Always make sure where your weapon is pointed.
- Make sure if you are engaged in group hinting then your companions must be behind you when shooting as an accident can crop up anytime. Standing beside can be dangerous if there is some problem with the bowstring
- Keeping the finger positioning safe is very important as it can get caught in the crossfire if the placement is even a bit wrong. Also sometimes accidents like finger slipping can occur leading to harming the user if it comes in front of the bolt itself.
- These precautions can seem minor but even the most experienced get in accidents when they forget to take care of their surroundings. So constant vigilance is extremely important when dealing with any weapon of sorts.
How To Shoot using The Crossbow
The basic principle of core loading and firing is similar but there are always variations with different models.
- First of all, check the crossbow’s safety engagement and ensure that everybody is safe and not in harm’s way.
- After the regular safety checkup, place your foot in the stirrup and hold the crossbow at the proper place.
- Follow with positioning the string properly. You can use a cocking device or even hands work.
- Put your hands on the rail and make a good gripping on the string.
- Keep your thumb on the rail and pull the strong up after ensuring that everything is centered by the thumb.
- Utilize your body position to by straightening to make the pull, till the strong latches in the retention system in place. You may hear a click on completing the same.
- Now you can get into a shooting stance and position and then load the crossbow.
- You will need to support it with one hand and use the other hand to side a bolt in the rail.
- Move the bolt back till it sits properly on the string. The crossbow is now loaded and is potentially dangerous.
- Move your hands in shooting positions and mind your fingers.
- Place your dominant hand near the trigger and use your other hand to balance the crossbow by holding at the center of the foregrip.
- Put the buttstock on your shoulder and rest the cheeks on the stock for sighting.
- Make an aim and disengage the safety and squeeze the trigger to fire.
- Keep an eye on the target till the bolt jas not stopped moving and then lower the crossbow.
Using a cocking aid takes a lot of strength and is probably the hardest part to handle. There are many aids available for doing this but practice makes a man perfect. It takes time to learn the skill and more so to polish it but one should know their limits well. Practice and ensure safety before everything else. The learning of crossbow is pretty much gradual like another skill so it takes patience and perseverance. It is a fun experience altogether and you can always experiment with different types of crossbows to know what is your best forte.